Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:38:58 -0000
From:      "Thordur I." <thib@mi.is>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Software or hardware RAID1. (gstripe)

Iīm currently trying to decide upon a sultion on how to go about keepin
my data safe.

Now, a RAID1 setup sounds good in this position. But I canīt seem to
find an answer to one question.

Letīs say that I have 2x 120Gb (ad1 and ad2) disk. I stripe them wich
should give something like /dev/stripe/foo  (either with gstripe or a
hardware raid controler.)

Now I fill this striped volume with data, and ad1 dies.
What happenīs ?
Does gstripe alert my that ad1 has died and will I still be able to
access /dev/stripe/foo ?
And when I shut the box down, remove ad1 and insert another (identical
disk) to restore the stripe, what then ? (assume the same bus ofcourse)

I have tryed to google this up but to no avail.

Any help is well appriceated.

With kind regards,
Thordur I.

PS: CC my for Iīm not on the list. (Btw, do list members consider this a
bother for if so I would just subscripe to the list (currently though
Iīm supscried to what I think are to many lists :))