Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:29:44 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Danny Horne <danny@clifftop.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Curious about release schedule

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 11:53:03PM +0100, Danny Horne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Apologies if this isn't the right group, but I'm curious as to why there's a
> version 4.8 of FreeBSD being released more than 2 months after version 5 has
> been released.

Hello,

Having survived 2.2.0-R, 3.0-R, and 4.0-R, I have to say:

The .0 release can be scary.  Very, very scary.  Heck, 3.x didn't
become really solid until about 3.2-3.3.  4.0 was an exception to the
rule, and was actually a pretty good .0.

5.0-stable promises to have all sorts of nifty features.  These
features promise to introduce new and interesting bugs.  Everything
from the random number generator to kernel throads has been redone.
The potential for unexpected interactions between these components is
huge.

As a long-time FreeBSD devotee and rather experienced sysadmin, I
probably won't be installing 5.x in production until at least 5.2-R.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think a lot of people are going to install
5.0-R and be in for a big, unpleasant surprise when their particular
situation exposes nasty horrible bugs.

I use FreeBSD so I can sleep at night.  5.0-R is a necessary step
along our way to kicking the software world's butt.  But I plan to
keep using 4.x on mission-critical systems for some time after it
appears.  Many other sysadmins feel the same way.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons