Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 1998 17:38:00 +0000
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>, Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

At 19:54 28/01/98 -0600, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
>At 06:58 PM 1/28/98 +0000, Scot Elliott wrote:
>>On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Jeff Lynch wrote:
>>
>>> Yikes. I would set it at 20MB or 30MB and explain why it is necessary. If
>>> they have an occaisonal need you can always jack it up temporarily.
>>> It you leave it unlimited, you'll probably be sorry.
>>
>>I totally agree with this.  EMail was just not designed for rediculously
>>large transfers like this.  It's inefficient because there's no restart
>>facility (I dont think...) in case a connection gets broken, like there is
>>with FTP and HTTP.
>
>What burns me is that they don't compress large files.  Don't want to
teach them how to use WinZip, make it self-extracting.
>Still it wasn't as bad as the idiot that sent a 42 MB file to a fellow
worker, who-was-in-the-same-office!!!  Hello?!  Did you local network crash?

Better still, I had a clown who decided that a good backup system would be
to email herself the entire contents of her PC hd.. fortunately only a
500Mb disk.

That was fun...

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/