Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:43:19 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

On Mon, Feb 23, 1998 at 01:40:03AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >Back to the original subject, guys.  I proposed the following
> > >
> > >  [...]
> >
> > I don't think it will fly, I think trying to synchronize the factors
> > which control the time our hackers have to devote to FreeBSD would
> > be a major mistake...
>
> I agree.  The unfortunate effect of following the suggestion, even
> if the time window control weren't a factor, would be to trigger
> all commits in a relatively short window.
>
> This is exactly the type of situation which will result in Bob and
> Fred committing conflicting changes that result in an unbuildable
> tree.
>
> Without some software-enforced procedural mechanism for avoiding
> this type of collision,

I'd like a system where I could 'pend a commit' and have it run
through a build-test and then be committed if it passed (and no one
else had touched the files I've been working on in the meantime).  Due
to the way I work and what hardware I've got available it has been
very difficult for me to do a full buildtest for each change; that has
for the most part changed now (thanks Simon!), but it still would be
more convenient to have a special-commit-and-it-will-built-for-you
system.

It couldn't be the only system (as it sometimes is necessary to have
things available immediately), but it would be a valueable addition.

Eivind.