Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:20:33 -0500
From:      Kevin Havener <kevin.havener@afccc.af.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exim question and /etc/hosts question

Ben Smithurst gave me the right answer for this.  Thanks Ben, I can't
believe it was so simple.  As much as I looked at the exim configure
file, I can't believe I couldn't figure this one out myself after a
week!

Works like a charm now.  Now that I've spent so much time with exim, I
kind of like it.  Still don't know what bugs cvsup and why changing the
/etc/hosts file changes its behavior.

====================== Ben's answer ============================

> I use fetchmail to get my mail from my ISP, but exim won't deliver it to
> my local user(s). In /var/spool/exim/msglog I see this kind of stuff:
>
>> 2000-02-22 09:24:41 havo@localhost: routing deferred: retry time not reached
>> 2000-02-22 09:54:41 havo@localhost: lookuphost router deferred: host lookup
>>        did not complete

add "localhost" to local_domains.

=======================End Ben's answer==========================

Steve Hovey wrote:

> Do you have a localhost entry in your /etc/hosts file?

Not a player in the exim problem, but...
Yes, changing it from:  127.0.0.1 localhost  #cvsup fails, sendmail
worked fine
                   to:  127.0.0.1 freebsd localhost #cvsup worked,
sendmail stalled

Haven't experimented yet to see how exim peforms on boot-up with the
cvsup-friendly /etc/hosts yet.

Thanks for the responses guys,
Kevin Havener