Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:11:06 +0800 (CST)
From:      Jian-Da Li <jdli@FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   mbuf full problem

	Hi :

	Our FreeBSD server is running 2.2-961006-SNAP with the latest current
	kernel, and there is a serious problem about mbuf useage (since long
	ago).

	I found that whenever the mbuf clusters useage reached (or over) the
	limit defined by NMBCLUSTERS, it seems will never decrease.

	The mbuf full problem is usually caused by too many mirror processes
	running, or the search engine updating it's gathered database.

	The mbuf useage is normally around 800 on this server, but when
	too-many-mirrors are running or search engine is gathering, it will
	increase to 1200 (current kernel limit) even to 1800 (old kernel
	limit).  And it will cause network almost down except ping.  I tried
	to kill those processes, but the mbuf useage just keep staying around
	1200 (was 1800) no matter how many network-related processess I
	killed.

	I have to reboot the machine to solve this problem.
	Now I increase NMBCLUSTERS back to 1800	to make the bad thing happen
	slower, but I don't think it's the right way to go.

	Is it a mbuf-leaking ? Which information else can I provide ?
	Any idea ?

	====== netstat -m, maxuser=48, DRAM=32MB ======
	1430 mbufs in use:
	        1366 mbufs allocated to data
	        29 mbufs allocated to packet headers
	        23 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
	        12 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
	1280/1280 mbuf clusters in use
	2738 Kbytes allocated to network (100% in use)
	0 requests for memory denied
	0 requests for memory delayed
	0 calls to protocol drain routines

	Thanks for your help.