Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:52:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Had the shotgun out and pointed at my -current/SMP box...

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Stephen Roome wrote:

=>> So I'd bet NT saw all of the memory *and* was able to use it.  We
=>> just couldn't.
=>
=>Perhaps a more reasonable explanation would be that the NT
=>kernel and most of the NT applications are such huge bloated
=>pieces of software suffering so much freeping creaturism that
=>well over half the memory that they have allocated for
=>themselves is unnessary, not used and therefore if the data
=>stored in it gets corrupted it doesn't matter and hence it
=>doesn't crash. (at least not for that reason anyway!)
=>
=>[Still I'd not have considered NT as either a competitor for
=>FreeBSD, and illustrious must surely be sarcasm!]

The entire NT reference was sarcasm!  I'd rather use DOS than
windoze! ;)  Of course, I'd rather use FreeBSD than either!

=>> My first FreeBSD box was a converted NT (3.xx) box which labored
=>> under only 8 users.  Under fbsd I tested a max of 70+ users.
=>> (p200/128meg for those who care).
=>
=>That's overkill, you must live somewhere hardware is cheap!

This is what I was told was needed for a windoze nt box running
an isp with 8 dial-up lines.  It was a copy of a machine I saw at
an operating isp which ran like your average windoze box (read:
like a dog).  Actually, that's a lie.  The isp box was, if I
recall, a p133.  I figured my p200 would make it acceptable...

And, no, the hardware *wasn't* cheap!  It is now, but wasn't
then...

Lee