Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:18:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Alex Hayward <xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: World built on 21/6/98 exploded with KDE port :-(

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> My system built on the 21/6/98 just rebooted itself, and trashed a
> filesystem to boot...
>
> I'm running an SMP kernel, and I was running the KDE port - I selected 'Show
> widgets in windows '95 style' on the desktop preferences and the server just
> rebooted...
>
> When it came back it had trashed my data filesystem worse than I've seen for
> a long time (I lost about 16-20 files - they all claimed to be huge sizes
> (e.g. >4Gb) (it's a standard, i.e. sync filesystem - no softupdates or async
> etc.)

Hmm, my -current system spontaeneously rebooted a short while back... IIRC
I had just mounted my Linux filing systems. In particular I had just
mounted a second ext2 filing system at a mount point within the first.
After a few seconds the machine just spontaeneously rebooted without
syncing. I didn't lose any files, though. I've just tried mounting them
again and after a short interval got a load of panic messages and a
reboot... Again, no files were lost. I'm not using SMP. My last make world
was yesterday (the 22nd).

--
alex@hayward.u-net.com; xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk