Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:31:38 -0500
From:      Ciro Maietta <ciro@im1.net>
To:        Scott Voegtlin <davedealer2000@yahoo.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reformat to a FAT partition

At 3/13/02 -0800 07:12 AM, Scott Voegtlin wrote:

>Howdy
>
>I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I'm absolutely desperate.. I've
>been reading through the manual and the "stuff" that came along with the
>OS, but I've stuck. I've decided that the machine I was originally going
>to operate a BsD server on is no longer adequet for my purposes.. so I was
>told to uninstall BsD on it, and format the drive back to a FAT32, and put
>Windows NT (I know, I know.. what a pain) back on it.
>
>I've installed BsD on this machine, however, I can't seem to get it off...
>How do I format the drive back to a FAT32?
>
>Thanks for your time
>
>Scott

Do you have a windows9x boot/setup disk? If so, you should be able to just
use the DOS FDISK command to delete the FreeBSD partition that's there now
(It will be listed as a Non-Dos partition) and create a new fat32
partition. Then just format it and you are on your way. Otherwise, you can
use a fixit floppy (easily made, there's an image in the /floppies folder
of the FreeBSD Release CD #1) and use fdisk to delete the freebsd
partition, and recreate one of the appropriate type number (which escapes
me at the moment, but you should be able to get it from man fdisk. From
there you should be able to use dos/win's FORMAT and you're all set.