Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 2010 07:48:20 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tripwire and device numbers

At 06:59 AM 3/5/2010, Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:
>"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> > Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> writes:
> > > While getting a box ready for deployment, I noticed on two
> > > occasions, I would get some exception reports flagging all files as
> > > the underlying device number through reboots had changed.  Is this
> > > "normal" for Tripwire and FreeBSD ? (RELENG_7)
> > Yes, device numbers in freebsd carry no meaning, unless it is a compat
> > /dev directory to boot ancient systems (SunOS, very old FreeBSD etc)
> > diskless.
> >
> > In general, tripwire should ignore devfs and possibly all pseudo-fs
> > mount-points.
>
>Nothing to do with devfs; IIUC, tripwire is complaining about st.st_dev
>on regular files and directories.

Correct. It was upset by just regular files and=20
directories on regular file systems in /usr/bin /sbin etc.

         ---Mike

>DES
>--
>Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike@sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike