Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:20:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Jacob Ritorto <jritorto@pit.comms.marconi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial trouble on dell cpi 366

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Jacob Ritorto wrote:

> 	I'm frequently losing bits on my laptop's
> serial port using FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE and
> 5.0-CURRENT. The kernel frequently reports one
> more silo overflow (xx total) on the serial port.
> Both installations are generic kernels, though I
> did try cutting out superfluous devices in 5.0,
> but to no effect.
> 	5.0 Seems to drop many more bits than 4.5,
> and 5.0 seems not to care how fast the transfer
> happens -- it loses data even at 2400 bps, while
> the 4.5-RELEASE usually only loses data at rates
> above 38400.
> 	Do people already know about this?  Is
> there a bug filed yet?  Any resolution /
> workaround?  I use the machine (and camediaplay or

I think this is unknown, except that interrupt latency
problems are worse in -current.

> gphoto -- same behaviour with both programs) to
> grab digital photos from my Olympus.  The scheme
> worked fine on previous FreeBSD versions with my
> now defunct Intel machine..

It's interesting that it used to work.  The only
significant change in the driver between 4.4 and
4.5 was to reduce the input fifo (silo) trigger
level.  In theory, this should reduce silo overruns
by up to a factor of 4, but since there should be
none without this change, this change should make
no difference except to reduce efficiency.  Silo
overruns at low speeds like 38400 point to deeper
problems.  Try running 4.4 to see if this is a
software problem.

> 	Please advise as it seems to me that the
> kernel is having trouble getting around to
> servicing the serial port's requests, which I'm
> assuming denotes the kernel's failure to fully
> grok the uart or something like that..

Silo overflows are more often caused by a software
bug, or other hardware using so many bus cycles that
the serial driver can't access its hardware in time.

Bruce