Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2014 01:33:25 +0200
From:      clutton <clutton@zoho.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GNOME3 and nvidia-driver

On Mon, 2014-11-24 at 12:53 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The latest GNOME3 update doesn't appear to live well with
> > nvidia-driver. I'm attempting to build gnome3, but it's failing during
> > the configure of graphics/cogl (required by graphics/cogl, required by
> > graphics/clutter, required by accessibility/caribou):

> > checking for GLIB - version >= 2.32.0... yes (version 2.42.0)
> > checking EGL/egl.h usability... no
> > checking EGL/egl.h presence... no
> > checking for EGL/egl.h... no
> > configure: error: Unable to locate required EGL headers
> > ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> >
> > Hmm. Okay, a quick search reveals graphics/libEGL has the headers.
> > # cd /usr/ports/graphics/libEGL && make install clean
> > ===>  Checking if libEGL already installed
> > ===>   Registering installation for libEGL-10.3.3
> > pkg-static: libEGL-10.3.3 conflicts with nvidia-driver-340.46
> > (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file:
> > /usr/local/lib/libEGL.so
> > *** Error code 70
> >
> > Stop.
> > make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/libEGL
> >
> > What should I do?
> >
> > Cheers
> > --
> > Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
> >

> Switch to Mate? ;-)
>
> I'll be doing this shortly, so it's not entirely facetious. After some time
> with Gnome3 on Linux, I switched to Mate and have been very happy with it.
> (Mate is a fork of Gnome2.) Cinnamon is another option. It is GTK3 based,
> but retains the customisability of Gnome2. I have only very limited
> experience with it.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com

There are a lack of configurations. Which make all those neat HUI
unusable, like: hey, where should I put my XKBModel. And then
dconf-config and Xorg configuration begins.

Or how can I type my password in GDM if I'm using dvorak layout? Why new
GDM doesn't have a layout selection like old had.

And a lot of other simple things. But if I will be able to run xmonad as
a wm, I'll stick with gnome3. The interface is really neat.