Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:10:26 GMT
From:      Peter Bukowski <clavius@live.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/129542: FreeBSD 7.1-RC1 installer cannot find WD SATA hard drive with MCP73M01H1 mainboard (MCP73 SATA controller)

>Number:         129542
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 7.1-RC1 installer cannot find WD SATA hard drive with MCP73M01H1 mainboard (MCP73 SATA controller)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I ran the installer for FreeBSD 7.1-RC1 i386 on a Compaq Presario desktop equipped with an MCP73M01H1 class mainboard. I have read about this problem with past releases (Bug# 126666) and there was some suggestion there was to be a fix. But this issue still remains in 7.1-RC1.
Any recent Linux version I have tried works well with the nVidia MCP73 SATA controller, and I've heard off a friend that OpenBSD 4.4 can successfully use it.
I guess this means no FreeBSD for me.

>How-To-Repeat:
Get a stock Compaq Presario sr5648f computer and run the F-BSD 7.1-RC1 installer. A message should come up saying No Hard Disk Media Found and advise you look in the docs to see if you disks are being probed rightly.