Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:24:36 -0500
From:      Walsh Michael J NPRI <WalshMJ@csd.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   My system is locking and spontaneously rebooting with my new SMP  kernel!

After installing FreeBSD 3.4 and rebuilding my kernel to recognize a second
processor, my system booted properly, but after about 10 minutes, my X
display locked up and my system spontaneously rebooted.  Now I can't boot
without getting the frightening message "Automatic file system check
failed...help!"  I followed all the instructions in Lehey for building a
kernel for SMP.  I also used mptable to figure out what to use for NBUS and
NINTR in the config file.  I have two 600 MHz Pentium III's and a Matsonic
MS7070SD motherboard if that helps anyone.

At this point, I need to first figure out how to repair my file system.  All
I seem to get is a /bin/sh prompt.  When I ran RedHat linux on a different
(single processor) machine, it seemed to handle bad shutdowns (like from
power failures) much better.  What's the deal here?

Mike