Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 23:14:36 -0400
From:      Michael L Artz <slyph@MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Static NAT with natd and ipfw

So, I set up NAT nicely with ipfw and natd under freebsd 4.0.  Everything seemed to work fine.  I compiled my kernel with the following options:
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPDIVERT
options         IPSTEALTH
set up my internal machines to use the 192.168.1.* network, and set up my gateway to use one of my static IPs.

Now, however, I would like to statically alias one of my inside addresses to an external address.  The man page seems to say to do it like this:

natd_flags="-redirect_address inside_ip outside_ip"

which I put in /etc/rc.conf

I would like this to behave as though my machine behind the firewall were actually "on" the internet at the outside IP.

However, when I do this, I get the following error:
natd[84]: failed to write packet back (No route to host)

Also, the machine to which I am trying to alias cannot see the outside world past my firewall.  It can see (and ping) the outside interface on the firewall, but nothing beyond it.

Is this a problem with my routing tables or what?  Also, does the inside machine need any further configuration past what was already done to get it working with natd?  Do I need to alias the external IP that I want it to be, or can I leave it configured as the internal (192.168.*) machine?  Does the gateway need to alias the IP?

Any help is really appreciated.  Thanks

-Mike
slyph@mit.edu