Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:29:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marco Beishuizen <marco@beishuizen.info>
To:        Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
Subject:   Re: TX underrun

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, the wise Stacey Roberts spoke, and said:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 22:22, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently, I noticed a kernel message on one of my machines:
> >
> > dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> >
> > It doesn't seem to be very important. I'm just curious what it means. Does
> > anyone know what it means?
>
> This is a message that appears (usually from the box running under high
> system load) when a system is having a problem getting data to the nic
> fast enough.
>
> Some nic's have the ability to actually start sending a packet *before*
> the packet has been completely received, and the message informs you
> that a transmit (the "tx") underrun occurred where the rest of the
> packet data wasn't actually "there" when the nic was ready to send it.
>
> Nothing to worry about, but either reducing system load .., or buying a
> more efficient nic would see these messages off.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stacey

Thats a bit weird because the machine isn't under a heavy system load at
all and it only has one NFS connection to another computer, just to copy
some files sometimes, and an ADSL connection to the internet. At the time
when the computer showed the TX underrun, it wasn't used.

I think I'll just wait and see if the TX underrun happens more often or
causes real problems...

Marco
--
AQUARIUS (Jan 20 - Feb 18)
	You have an inventive mind and are inclined to be progressive.