Date:      03 Jun 2003 09:28:37 +0200
From:      Kern Sibbald <kern@sibbald.com>
To:        cer@mirapoint.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape data loss

Concerning the maximum buffer size: I have chosen
the default maximum buffer size to be 64512 bytes so
that it is smaller than 65536. In fact, 64512 bytes is
the size (126 blocks) that I used for tar in 1982
and never had any problems.

>From what I understand the 65536 point at which
buffers are always split only applies to devices in
fixed block mode, and probably older devices at that.

Though Bacula can run in fixed block mode, the
default is variable block, so I don't see that as
an issue here -- unless I am missing something?

Can you explain why you mention 61440 bytes?  and
why it might be a better choice than 64512?

On aligning the buffers on a page boundary: interesting
idea, I'll look into it, but I'm not too keen on the
idea.

Best regards,

Kern