Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:08:11 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups)

At 07:35 PM 9/24/99 -0500, Jacques Vidrine wrote:

>I am not advocating making it easy for spammers.  The RBL has been a
>huge help, and the DUL looks potentially even more helpful.  I just
>object to blocking legitimate traffic.

The problem is, how can you tell what is legitimate? There's no good
way, a priori, to distinguish spam from legitimate e-mail. It's only
the pattern of mailing and/or the content that gives it away.

Moreover, in order to detect an abusive pattern of mailing, you need
to have logging -- which you get when you channel users' mail through
your server. By doing so, you are not "blocking" mail. In fact, you're
providing an additional service by queueing it for delivery --
possibly after the user has logged off. This is handy if the recipient's
DNS or mail server is offline when the mail is first sent.

See

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/mc092399.htm

for a good story about a small ISP and a spammer.

--Brett