Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 15:34:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DNS Cache+MX+SendMail = Host not found...

Hello guys,

I have a problem (guess it? ;-) here: my Intranet is connected to the Internet
through a machine that works as gateway (on a PPP -auto -alias link), DNS and
mail hub. All the other machines on the network (3, btw, so not so big
network...) are configured to send mail to the first one, using sendmail's
nullclient config.

Everything works flawlessly, but one case: suppose that the DNS maintains in its
cache a record to somewhere.some.domain, with an MX record pointing to
anotherplace.some.domain, but that it has no memory of what
anotherplace.some.domain is, and you send a mail to foo@somewhere.some.domain.

Well, in this case sendmail (on the gateway machine) will resolve the
somewhere.some.domain address and fetch the MX record from the DNS, then it
will try to resolve the MX address itself, that is *NOT* cached, so it gets a
"non existing host/domain" answer from the DNS, and bounce back the mail with a
permanent fatal error.

I know I could force sendmail on the gateway to always queue mails, but I would
like to avoid this, as then I should remember to issue a "sendmail -q" if I send
an email while I'm connected to the Internet, and I don't want to.

Is there another solution to this problem?

Ah, BTW, the OS running on all the machine is Winslow 95.

Ok, really: they are running STABLE ;-)

TIA

Bye, UP