Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:11:07 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Walsh Michael J NPRI <WalshMJ@csd.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My system is locking and spontaneously rebooting with my new SMP kernel!

* Walsh Michael J NPRI <WalshMJ@csd.npt.nuwc.navy.mil> [000225 14:03] wrote:

> After installing FreeBSD 3.4 and rebuilding my kernel to recognize a second
> processor, my system booted properly, but after about 10 minutes, my X
> display locked up and my system spontaneously rebooted.  Now I can't boot
> without getting the frightening message "Automatic file system check
> failed...help!"  I followed all the instructions in Lehey for building a
> kernel for SMP.  I also used mptable to figure out what to use for NBUS and
> NINTR in the config file.  I have two 600 MHz Pentium III's and a Matsonic
> MS7070SD motherboard if that helps anyone.
>
> At this point, I need to first figure out how to repair my file system.  All
> I seem to get is a /bin/sh prompt.  When I ran RedHat linux on a different
> (single processor) machine, it seemed to handle bad shutdowns (like from
> power failures) much better.  What's the deal here?

Without the messages before "Automatic file system check failed...help!"
your guess is as good as ours, please be more specific.

Also, if you can see if running the machine in text mode for a bit
can get a panic message we'd be interested to know what you got,
otherwise see:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

and try to get us a traceback.

thanks,