Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:59:18 -0400
From:      Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP and 4.1-RELEASE

Chris Hill wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Tom Parquette wrote:
>
> > I'm still having problems with the dhcp server.  I ran sysinstall again and
> > looked where you pointed me.  No dice.  I looked at the ftp server at:
> > ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.1-release/net/ and
> > the isc-dhcp2 and isc-dhcp3 files are not there.
> [snip]
> > I do not know where to go from here.
> > Anybody have a suggestion?
>
> You could always get DHCP from http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/. I've
> never had to use the client, but the server compiled perfectly right out
> of the box. No, I don't know what I'm doing; I just followed the
> directions. Works great, lasts a long time.
>
> Bonne chance!
>
> --
> Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
> [1]    Bus error                     netscape

OK folks, this is getting stranger by the moment...
I took some advice and looked at the ISC web site.
While I was getting ready to pull the ISC version I looked at /usr/ports/net/ and
found both isc-dhcp2 and isc-dhcp3 there.  The directories appeared to be
populated.

I tried doing a make against isc-dhcp2 and I got the message:
isc-dhcp-2.0.2 is forbidden: security hole found.

I also tried isc-dhcp3 and I got:
isc-dhcp3-3.0.b1.14 is forbidden: security hole found.

Being a security kind of guy, I can understand why you would not want to put a
buggy version on.  :-)

Should I use some of the instructions from Greg L.'s 3rd edition of The Complete
FreeBSD but get the package from the ISC site?
I would appreciate anything the 'gurus' have to say.
I can't go much further without a DHCP server.
Cheers...

--
Try not.  Do or do not.  Is no try.--Yoda