Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 17:53:50 -0500
From:      Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should a news server be 100% SCSI?

Greetings,

I'm building a news server using FreeBSD 2.1.0 as the OS and INN as the
news handler.  I will be using SCSI drives for the news spool but I'm
wondering if IDE has a place.  The motherboard is an ASUS PCI and the IDE
controller is pretty fast.  Should I put the OS and base directory
structure on the first drive (854MB) and swap/history on the other
(854MB) or should I go with say, 5 2 GIG SCSI drives?

I ask because I'm worried that 5 news/swap/history spindles may be too
much for the average SCSI controller.

Thanks,

Craig

| Craig Shrimpton                    |  e-mail: craigs@os.com               |