Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:27:23 -0500
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: where have all the ports & sysinstall packages gone ??

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:07:51 +1000, Doug Young wrote:

>No ..... I haven't a clue about CVS stuff. I haven't needed it previously
>because I usually install from CD & everything I've needed was on previous version
>CD's.

Perhaps the packages you are looking for are not on the first
package CD. Did you check for the packages on the second package
CD?

>> I usually have much better luck with ports that with packages.
>> Sometimes the packages lack handling of some of the dependencies.

>>From my experience its often been the other way around here

As long as you keep you ports collection to date you should have
no problems.
There are example cvsup files that come with the distribution.
You just need to install the cvsup binary and use one of the
examples to keep your ports up to date.

>plus I've found the uninstall routines generally don't work with ports or install from source.

When you say "from source" are you refering to ports? Or
directly from the program's original sources?
Port installs should get uninstalled with pkg_delete and that
has worked for me most of the time. There were some changes to
the ports which made old installs not unistall cleanly, but if
you install again and unistall it should all get cleared.

>I tried a heap of times on several machines to get imap & apache to work from ports
>but kept getting weird error about something missing or error 1 (whatever that means)'

If you are going to use ports you really need to cvsup to the
latest port tree.
Good luck!

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list