Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 12:06:38 GMT
From:      Daniel Barron <nettle@jadeb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum vs. ccd ?

In message <20020519133533.G54769@wantadilla.lemis.com> you wrote:

> On Saturday, 18 May 2002 at 23:45:15 -0500, David Loszewski wrote:
> > David Loszewski wrote:
> >
> >> When creating a raid what do people prefer to use? Vinum or CCD and
> >> why? I read the FreeBSD handbook and it only talks about CCD and when
> >> it comes to Vinum it just has XXX as the description....
> >>
> >> suggestions?
> >
> > no suggestions?
>
> I've been waiting for somebody else to answer this one.
>
> I'd recommend Vinum.  It's much more flexible.  A document on using
> Vinum is on its way to the handbook, but in the meantime you can get
> some information in the (copious) man pages and at
> http://www.vinumvm.org/

I've not tried CCD, but from a small amount of research I thought Vinum
looked best.  I then followed the install instructions (which are great)
and would have had it working in no time but for a faulty HD.  Once I
realised one of the drives I was mirroring to was bad, I got vimum working
very easily and has worked faultlessly since.

--
Daniel Barron
(Visit http://dansguardian.org/ - True web content filtering for all)