Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 00:34:56 -0500
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Networking Problems

Hi yall, first I guess I should explain, I'm pretty good with FreeBSD but...
don't hardly know anything about networking...

I'm on an @home (cable modem) connection with 3 computers hooked up to a
hub. All of the 3 computers have completely different I.P. addresses that
don't even go through the same gateway. (all static)

I was thinking I should buy a switch or something, because sometimes, for
some reason, my connection between my computers slows down to over 50%
packet loss. Sometimes rebooting all 3 of the machines can fix the problem,
sometimes it doesn't....

I was thinking that it must be a problem of the gateways speaking to
eachother, and that there must be a way to keep my computers on my LAN
talking to eachother on the LAN instead of through @home...

My main issue is getting my UNIX server talking to my workstation... I would
be happy if I could just get that going...

Is there some kind of route add that I need to do? And if so, how does that
work and what does it do? ... or should I go out and buy a switch?

Thanks,

Jordan