Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 18:19:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        jin@george.lbl.gov (Jin Guojun[ITG])
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: errros on making floppies

I'm working on changing the Makefiles in release/ so that each floppy
is a subdir and can be made individually, (well at least the important
ones (fixit,root))
having such basic functionality tied up so inherently with that spaghetti
that is the release code is a probelm here, because we need to be able
to know out small boot-disks without doing all the rest of that stuff.
doing a make in bin, sbin, usr.sbin and usr.bin is acceptable
as the .o's are needed for the crunched binaries, but
we don't want to have to cut a whole release..
we'd also like to see a selection of floppies produced during
a normal 'make world'  and that is my aim....
we'll see how successful I can be in this....
the aim is to produce at least:
1.4MB kernel floppy
1.4MB root floppy with massively crunched stuff.

Then, hopefully if that works:
a 1.4MB floppy with 'kernel of your choice' pluss a crunched binary
with just enough functionality to do what we need.

The final stage (if I ever understand all this) is:
a floppy with an MFS filesystem with our custom stuff on it