Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:24:07 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates & fsck

In the last episode (Feb 04), Konrad Heuer said:
> I'd greatly be interested in experiences with softupdates turned on
> for larger filesystems and recovery time after system crashes or
> power failures. Is fsck really dispensable? If or if not, how long
> does fsck take?

Softupdates doesn't make fsck run any faster.  It does make directory
operations run as async speed, with no corruption problems in the event
of a crash.  Theoretically, a softupdates-mounted filesystem can be
mounted 'dirty' and cleaned in the background, but I believe there are
some problems with that that haven't been worked out yet.

fsck time seems to be proportional to the number of files (so your CVS
repo will really take along time :)  On my machine, fsck'ing a 9-gig
drive takes about 5 minutes.  fsck'ing a 60-gig volume takes about 10
minutes, but there aren't very many files.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com