Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:41:08 +0000
From:      Clem.Dye@wdr.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com
Subject:   RE: Re: The Complete FreeBSD

Malcolm:

I take (and support) the idea about involvement from O'Reilly or
similar to gain more access to FreeBSD documentation. Your comments
about The Complete FreeBSD don't however ring 100% true, based on my
experiences. Using Amazon or UK booksellers (including the likes of
PC BookShop in London) is a waste of time. Although the book has an
ISBN number, it may as well not have, because, as you state, it
doesn't seem to exist. However, when I ordered my copy of the book
directly from Walnut Creek, along (then) with FreeBSD 2.2.5, I seem
to recollect being charged only $9 for the whole kit. The CDs arrived
within a week, whilst the book took several weeks longer as I think
that it was sent 'ground shipping' (or something like that - US
subscribers will know what I mean). I've placed several orders
directly with Walnut Creek in the past and I don't subscribe to your
theory that they're US-centric. Sure, as a US company they have a
strong US focus, but they've always seemed pretty clued-up when it
comes to exports, order tracking etc. Same goes for ordering books
from O'Reilly.

Why not mail them/phone them to get the lie of the land? Things may
have changed since I last dealt with the company (early last year),
but my experiences have always been favourable and I'd certainly use
them again. As alternatives, why not try the following:

DGC-NMS in Liverpool
The Linux Emporium

I've used both of these companies to get stuff in the past. In fact,
DGC supplied me with my 3.1 CD release last week and have The
Complete BSD, 2nd. edition, in stock! Both have web sites, but
off-hand I can't remember the URLs. Mail me off-list if you can't
find them.

HTH

Clem