Date:      Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:00:47 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>

On Thursday 25 August 2005 22:00,  the author Greg Lewis contributed to the
dialogue on what was originally
 Re: freebsd eclipse plugins & mailing list: but now
Eclipse as part of the ports/java tree? [Was freebsd eclipse plugins & mailing
list]

>On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 10:37:43PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 03:48:04PM -0600, Greg Lewis wrote:
>> > I'd personally like to see eclipse and all of its plugins removed from
>> > the java category and placed into devel.  For example, I find it
>> > ridiculous that the phpeclipse port is in the Java category.
>>
>> Speaking as both a portmgr and a bugmeister, I think the java category
>> has been a failure.  What happens is that people see a 'java' ports
>> category and then assume that reports about bugs in any Java port should
>> go to the Java GNATS category (rather than 'ports').  In particular,
>> these PRs then get missed by portsmon.  As well, as you mention, the java
>> category departs from the existing usage in 'devel' and other places.
>>
>> I think TRT is to move everything out of Java that's not actually a JDK
>> or JRE.  And maybe even the things that are :-)
>>
>> What do other people think?
>
>I essentially agree.  Its somewhat persuasive to say that the top level
>java category can go altogether.  No other languages get this special
>treatment, and its difficult to really make the argument for Java other
>than inertia and the fact that the devel category is already huge.  At
>the very least, there are many ports in the category that can obviously
>be moved -- basically everything that is only in the category because
>its written in Java.  Other ports which are related to the JVM or directly
>to the Java language I could see staying if the category remains (e.g.
>openjit, jmp, jikes, sablevm, jdk15-doc, etc.).  Obviously the JDK/JRE
>ports stay if the category stays.
>
>Maybe moving all the low hanging fruit (the ones which are only there
>because they are written in Java) would be a good first step?
I am inclined to agree that eclipse does not "belong" in ports/java. Neither
does iit belong in "devel" or "languages".

In view of the huge number of eclipse plugins and, nore importantly, the
mushrooming significance of eclipse, to everyone including the freebsd
community,  I would like to suggest we have /ports/eclipse. Here are my basic
reasons:

1. The huge range of significant plugins (392 last count) which are dependent
upon the the eclipse IDE. In my view, and for the good of the platform, we
need to make these available to freebsd users in a form that fits into the
freebsd ports collection.

If that means changes to the ports collection schema I see no objection. The
long term interest of the platform is much more significant thn the current
ports collection schema.

Here are the major categories and the number of plugins within each category:
Application Management (8)
Application Server (9)
Code Management (20)
Database (24)
Deployment (5)
Documentation (8)
Editor (30)
Entertainment (6)
Graphics (3)
IDE (21)
J2EE Development Platform (15)
J2ME (4)
Languages (19)
Modeling (14)
Network (4)
Other (14)
Profiling (7)
Rich Client Applications (7)
SCM (2)
Source Code Analyzer (16)
Team Development (20)
Testing (23)
Tools (57)
UI (14)
UML (11)
Web (21)
Web Services (10)
XML (10)

2. That in line with current development and application thinking the
implications and practice of the eclipse EDI framework cuts right across the
current heirarchical divisions of the freebsd port tree which was itself
created when  the application and development environment was founded on an
entirely different set of system  and application constraints.

3. We are living in a different era and the traditional divisions  do not
apply to the eclipse framework. Can we not, as a platform, welcome that
change by making appropriate changes to our ports schema?

4. As you can see by examining Eclipse and by careful study of eclipse and
eclipse related websites it is not just an EDI it is also a multi application
framework so it does not "belong" in anything other than its own place in the
ports tree.

5. I can see great potential for a number of freebsd specific eclipse plugins
(including a combined freebsd system management and help tool providing  an
integrated and automated sysadmin functionalities).

6. If we do not grasp the opportunity we now have to make the changes needed
to accomodate eclipse and any similar generic combined Application/EDI
frameworks then freebsd will suffer. It will certainly not be harmed by
taking the steps necessary to incorporate into its ports collection.

7. There are substantial advantages when managing an eclipse development
environment on the freebsd platform to having the plugins installed from the
ports tree rather than via individual user accounts which could lead to
individual team members loading different versions of plugins into their own
user workspace. We need to have the plugins organized in the ports tree. That
means 392 plugins - There can be no doubt that eclipse needs its own place in
the freebsd ports hierarchy as well as its own mailing list for the good of
the freebsd community. The combination of these two initiatives may attract
new devotees to freebsd and cannot do us any harm. I do not believe we will
act responsibly by leaving things as they are or failing to grasp the new
opportunities.

david

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.