Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 11:08:26 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unknown Crashes

I run FBSD 4.5-RELEASE and Apache 1.23 on a computer that provides services
for web server, mail server, FTP server, DNS caching, name serving. The
system has 1GB fast RAM with 1.4GB CPU and 1GB swap drive.

The system is new with 2 40-Gig HDs and was developed to migrate over more
than a dozen domains which has just been accomplished. It is a Tech site
with about 10,000 visitors daily, downloading mostly html stuff, some
occasionally streaming audio and book.pdf and ZIP files downloads. I notice
the Hard Drive is rarely hit and the system does not seem to be laboring at
all. It has 72 processes loaded, most all sleeping mostly.

Shortly after, I moved the domains over, I started having crashes that seem
directly related to my tar (gzip) backups which experienced no problems
before. Figuring it had to do with tar's limits on >2GB file backups, I
switched to gtar. Same crashing if not worse. I've had to disable my timed
backups until I figure out what to do. Fsck so far has recovered my
crashes, but after fixing a lot of problems on the HDs. The system is okay
at the moment without the backups, but I NEED those backups! I'm just
afraid to do it because of the inevitable hangs now.

I know there are some sharp people on this list and I really need some
ideas on this. I've thought of a bunch of things, but unsure of which. I
even have two new HDs on the way to pull the others.

BTW, when I installed those 40GB HDs, FBSD did complain about the geometry
and I thought it would go forth and do its thing after FDISK, which it did
and the system ran smoothly for the couple of months setting up for the
migration. I did however notice on one of the crash reboots, HD-2 was not
found in the BIOS. I had to go in and have it re-detected.

The domains have added nearly 2GB of content and since the problems started
after adding them, I wondered if tar (gtar) was somehow overwhelming the
memory and/or system during the tar + compression activity during backup?
How does tar + gzip do its thing? I figured it processed using RAM and swap
and tmp... just a guess.

Are there any ideas out there on this issue....??? Did I give enough
info....???

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone