Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:10:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Sean-Paul Rees <sean@dreamfire.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetBSD Features page

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:

> NetBSD just added a features page to their site. It details some of the
> new and cool features of NetBSD, like the "High Performance PCI IDE" and
> their new VM subsystem, UVM. Does FreeBSD have an equivalent page?

Not really - it would probably be a good thing, especially at release-time
to figure out what the heck the new version HAS

> High performance PCI IDE got my attention, I haven't got FreeBSD
> installed on a machine with IDE. I'm planning to install a -CURRENT snap
> on one shortly, and I heard that our IDE support wasn't superhot, if you
> know what I mean. Has this changed in -CURRENT? (Was it superhot in the
> first place, and I've just been misinformed?)

-current has a superhot new ATA driver which will be present in 4.0 which
is just around the corner. There are still a few corners being ironed out
of the driver, but it should be pretty good by the time of the release

Kris