Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:26:43 +0100
From:      Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        Jeff Tipton <jeff.t@mail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports & Packages [Stable] in sync

On Feb 17, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Jeff Tipton <jeff.t@mail.com> wrote:

> On 02/17/2013 13:13, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
>> On 16 Feb 2013, at 16:56, Jeff Tipton <jeff.t@mail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I upgraded 9.0 -> 9.1 on my netbook and only then found out that =
there are no packages for 9.1-RELEASE. On my desktops, I keep ports and =
packages at the RELEASE versions, so I only have to compile when I need =
non-default options or when there are no packages. Would it be possible =
to get the ports snapshot that was used to compile the 9-STABLE =
packages? I think I could use subversion but then I need to know the =
revision number of that snapshot. What do you suggest?
>>>=20
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jeff
>>>=20
>> Hi Jeff,
>>=20
>> I think you might be confused here.
>>=20
>> It is my understanding that there are ports for:
>> - HEAD
>> - x.y-RELEASE
>>=20
>> I don't think you're going to be able to get a snapshot from =
9-STABLE, because -STABLE is a continuing work.
>>=20
>> What version do you consider to be 9-STABLE ?
>> Every time there's a new commit you get a "new" 9-STABLE.
> Thank you, Damien, for the reply. AFAIK, STABLE gets updated every 2 =
weeks but not every day, and it seems to be that because of the =
intrusion, it has not been updated for long. The versions of the ports =
that come with the 9.1-RELEASE are even slightly newer than those of =
9-STABLE packages. I think if I don't get the revision number from which =
the 9-STABLE was updated last time I'll use the ports tree that comes =
with 9.1-RELEASE. I hope it won't cause much version incompatibilities.

I'm not sure where you're getting your 9-STABLE ports from, Jeff.

In the SVN repository I only see release tags and HEAD:
http://svn.freebsd.org/ports/

I also second Gilbert's advice about using HEAD for your ports tree, we =
do this here in production with over 50 boxes and have had no problems =
so far.

If you still want to use the branch from 9.1-RELEASE, it's here:
svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/tags/RELEASE_9_1_0/

Note that, unless I'm wrong, you will not be getting *ANY* update to the =
ports tree then, it's frozen.
This means no security updates and all, AFAICT.