Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:23:50 +0200
From:      ianf@za.uu.net
To:        Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm impressed, but ...

Philip Paeps wrote:
> Hi guys -
>
> I accidently upgraded my workstation to -CURRENT over the weekend (forgot a
> tag=RELENG_4 in my supfile and let it cook).  It being a workstation and
> containing no critical data, I decided to just stick with it and give it a go
.

> The machine's been running for a day and a bit now, and it appears to be quit
> stable, but there's a couple of things worrying me.  I'd be happy to help
> analyse the problems further if someone tells me how :-)
>
>  1. When I boot my machine, it gives me the following messages:
>
>   | [...]
>   | vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
>   | unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
>   | unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources (irq)
>   | unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (port)
>   | unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
>   | unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
>   | unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources (port)
>   | unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
>   | Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
>   | ahc0: Someone reset channel A
>   | [...]
>
>   All my hardware (the stuff I've tested anyway) appears to work.  Any idea
>   which device is being unknown, or how I could find out?

Do you also get an 'unable to initialize ACPI' message when your
system boots?  I stopped getting this message when I compiled ACPI
support into the kernel:

device          acpi
options         ACPI_DEBUG

Someone here will probably say that you don't need to compile it
into the kernel, you can use the kernel module and you can use
loader.conf to do this.  See /usr/src/sys/boot/forth/loader.conf
and loader.conf(5) for more details. FWIW, this file should probably
have been installed into /boot/loader.conf.(default|sample|etc), then
lazy people like me would have noticed a significant difference in
loader.conf from 4.7 to current and investigated further.

Ian