Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 16:25:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: promiscuous ethernet

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Andy Dills wrote:

> Or, is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do?

DHCP? - automatic configuration of client machines, but you can specify
their IP addresses, what gateway they should use (I'm guessing this is
what you want it for) and get them to use a nearby DNS server, etc.

As far as the client machines go, at most you need to turn their network
configuration to use DHCP; a single checkbox on winders machines, and a
lot of sites are using this these days so quite a significant number of
laptops may already be configured to use DHCP.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Donate a signature: http://tribble.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~cmjg/sig-submit