Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 21:50:38 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Subject:   Re: IPv6

According to Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav:
> Any plans for adding native IPv6 support to FreeBSD? It would seem
> that NetBSD already has such support, and I've been told there are
> some third-party drivers for FreeBSD.

The Jury is still out about which version of the various IPv6 stacks we
would be using. Two I know of are pretty advanced and working (the INRIA
one made by Francis Dupont[1] for 2.2.*) and the Japanese one (Wide
Project[2]).

The former is used in many 6bone sites in France along with some "private"
implementations (Dassault Aviation for example). IBM decided to take
Francis' code as base for their AIX IPv6 stack. Francis started writing his
stack for NetBSD and keeps on maintaining it although most of his work is
done now using FreeBSD. This is the one I'd like to see in FreeBSD :-)

One of the interesting things I've heard about the Wide implementation is
that they use a user-mode daemon to do most of the work (to be confirmed,
I've not seen the code).

Ipsilon has also a private implementation for its FreeBSD based routers.

Here is one message from Garrett Wollman back in October about the NRL code.

-=-=-=-