Date:      Mon, 01 May 95 12:12:01 -0700
From:      hasty@netcom.com
To:        jdc@xinside.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Video stuff...

> Amancio Hasty Jr writes:
> >
> > >At the moment, we believe that we will have to create our own
> > >extension, probably building an API that will be a compatible
> > >extension of the X Video extension.  We will also need a device
> >
> > Tnks, I am thinking about similar lines. My first cut at this
> > problem will be to just have a simple app that can control the
> > video overlay window and the mpeg stream. The second round will be
> > two modify the X video extensions to allow us to feed it mpeg data.
> >
> > Thanks again for your input :)

> We expect to start publishing our interface specs in a few months,
> when Release 1.2 is finally out of the door.  I don't know what time
> requirements you have, but you might want to look at our API.  It
> would reduce some of the incompatibility madness that afflicts the
> UNIX derivative environments...  We'd certainly be prepared to look
> at your specs, and we may even be able to provide some suggestions
> with only mildly annoying criticism ;-)

> I think that you will need to develop much of>  the X Video spec
> API initially, since you probably want to have a superset of that
> functionality with the added capability of MPEG feed and controls.
> We found that it took us several months to bring to acceptable
> quality.

Tnks when I am ready I will be happy to share with anyone my work and
I can take criticism so I don't see this as an issue.
My take on the current situation is that there is no standard so whatever
I write in terms of X protocol support will be a throw away;however, the
mechanism in the X server side  which controls the card will most
likely will remain intact .

When you are ready with your  specs please let us know ...
I will be nice to be able to watch movies with another X implementation :)

Now if any freebsd hackers, want to jump in the hardware assist mpeg bandwagon
drop me a note . There is plenty of work to be done at all levels.

	Regards,
	Amancio