Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:51:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Riffle <rif@ns.kconline.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   MS Exchange client

I have a client who has purchased the Microsoft Exchange server with the
Internet Mail Connector add-on for his NT box.  He is wanting to use this
as a gateway for his domains email.  Instead of having the IMC use uucp,
Microsoft decided to have it use straight SMTP for everything, so I am
hoping someone can shed some light on to how to configure what I need to
on my end to make this work.  Here is what the MS FAQ says they need from
the ISP:
"Your service provider must configure their SMTP host to act as a relay
host for your domain.  That means they must configure a DNS MX record that
instructs all hosts to connect to their server to send mail to your
domain.  Their host must be configured to hold mail for your domain until
you system dials in to retrieve it.  Typically, your system will have to
issue a command to their server when it connects to trigger it to deliver
any mail it has queued."

The MX record is no problem, I have already configured that so mail will
be delivered to my machine.  However, the "relay" part is where I do not
know what to do.  When mail comes in, it will try to deliver it to local
users, and if not bounce it.  Appearently, I need to mail coming in for
that domain to enter into my mailque and wait for them to call to pick it
up.

They would issue a rsh ns.kconline.com "/usr/sbin/sendmail
-qRtheirdomain.com" to send the mail to their machine.  Obviously that
suggests then their domain will have some sort of static IP which when
they are connected the mail would be able to be delivered.

So, the problem lies in having my box accept the mail for their domain and
hold it in the queue until it is deliverable.

Anyone had success on setting something like this up?

Thanks!
Jim Riffle