Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 04:33:16 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        erothwell@callgtn.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4

[  bcc questions for the benefit of whoever needs to know  ]

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:11:24AM -0500, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > I've been wondering a couple of things about the XFree86 4 port...
> > doesn't XF86 *include* GL libraries (viz., Mesa) & the FreeType
> > libraries or do the relevant ports need to be installed? I ask only b/c
> > I saw someone on -questions post that specifying XFREE86_VERSION=4 would
> > solve "Mesa dependency problems."
>
> The mesa gl libs are in /usr/ports/graphics/mesa3 and are a different port.

You didn't answer his question.  :-)

The correct answer is:  XFree86 4.x includes GL and FreeType2 libraries,
but they are incomplete in various ways.  So you are forced to make up
for it by having special exceptions made in their original sources for
XFREE86_VERSION=4.  Therefore the freetype2 and Mesa3 ports will only
install what XFree86 4.x is missing, IFF XFREE86_VERSION=4 is specified
in /etc/make.conf.  The magic is pretty well interwoven in
Mk/bsd.port.mk, graphics/Mesa3, and print/freetype2.

--
wca