Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:27:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Romain LE DISEZ" <ml.freebsd-fs@ledisez.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   [ZFS] Problems with SATA disks (SET TRANSFERT MODE ...)

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD-CURRENT (csup'ed from today). My config is :
 - Motherboard : Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
 - 2 SATA disks on the <Intel ICH5 SATA150 controller> (ad10 and ad12)
 - 2 SATA disks on the <Promise PDC20378 SATA150 controller> (ad4 and ad6)

On disks ad4, ad6 and ad12 there is a ZFS pool (raid-z) created with
OpenSolaris.

When copying big files, there is no problems. When copying somes little
files, there is no problems.

But, when I try to copy a lot of little files (eg: the source tree), I get
the following messages on console :
ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout -
completing request directly
ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout -
completing request directly
ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
request directly
ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
request directly
ad6: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
ad6: FAILURE - FLUSHCACHE timed out

(the same messages appear also for ad4 and ad12). Sometimes this messages
appear on the boot, when starting ZFS (I enabled zfs at boot)

It's strange because on ad10 (where freebsd is installed), I don't have
this messages.

After various research, I found
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2006-October/003924.html

It could be a problem from the Promise controller sharing IRQ with other
component (USB for example). I disabled USB from the BIOS but the problems
still exist.

I don't know if it's a bug from the controller, the ATA driver or ZFS.

Thanks for your help.

--
Romain LE DISEZ
06.78.77.99.18