Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:11:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.2 more installation problems!

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Will Andrews wrote:

:>On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:52:32PM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>> Out of the box, as said, I tried to upgrade a machine running previously
:>> under XFree86-4.1.X. I deleted all 'old' stuff by the pkg_delete -f
:>> routine and then I tried to install first XFree86-4-libraries.
:>>
:>> After imake-4 was build normaly, freetype2 got build but with errors.
:>> Someone messed up with 'make' and 'gmake' and that has not been patched.
:>> I fiddled around a while and got freetype2 build the normal way
:>> in the 'normal' search path (/usr/X11R6 instead of /usr/local).
:>> Then I tried to build the XFree86 port again, but I always! run into this
:>> error:
:>...
:>> In file included from xftint.h:30,
:>>                  from xftcfg.c:28:
:>> XftFreetype.h:29: freetype/freetype.h: No such file or directory
:>> *** Error code 1
:>>
:>> Stop in /usr/public/gnu/compile/system/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/x11/XFree86-4-libraries/work/xc/lib/Xft.
:>> *** Error code 1
:>...
:>> The files are already there, but I think there is a toplevel search path missing ...
:>>
:>> Well, its enough to complain about the problems with XFree86-4, why has this crap been merged into
:>> the tree and where is the old, working port?????
:>
:>Umm.. as far as I can see your problem is with freetype2 not
:>XFree86.  Fiddling with ports isn't a good idea unless you know
:>what you're doing and when you do that you should report what you
:>actually did... otherwise this is a useless cry to get the port
:>converted back to its old ways for no good reason.
:>
:>Regards,
:>--
:>wca
:>

You are right, but 'fiddling' means sometimes doing a traditional job like
installing the software by hand.

In my case, Xft seems to lack in some header files I can not install
or I do not know where to find. freetype in its newest version IS definitely
broken when using the ports collection, it is the install routine which makes
things impossible. It uses 'make' instead of 'gmake' as mentioned. After the
installation by hand I can also not install XFree86, because it lacks in a
header file named ft2xxxx.h or similar.

The XFree86 port depends on freetype - so IT IS a XFree86 problem due to the fact
of dependencies. On one machine I did the task - but it worked because an
older freetype2 port has been installed already and I did not delete the X11R6
directory.

Installations of XFree86 on a freshly installed system also fails.

I do not know what must happen in addition to say: this port is broken!
All the discussions about the new meta-port philosophy is obsolete due
to the fact that it is not working as exspected.

Well, we are not talking about development or using XFree86 'at home' or for
toys. I'm sorry using those harsh words, but at the moment 'tempus fugit',
time runs away and we have a lot of work to do. Installing XFree86 by hand is
no alternative because next time I run into trouble with other ports which need
to know how XFree86 has been installed by the ports system ...

Thanks al ot in advance.

O.
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)