Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:21:43 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        geom@freebsd.org, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: geom 'taste' vs. manual creation ?

Ivan Voras said:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 01:21:11PM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > geom(4) says:
> >
> >    A geom which came into being as a result of a normal taste operation
> >    should self-destruct...
> >
> > Now I wonder:
> > does the GEOM infrastructure record whether a geom has been created
> > by a 'taste' call, or manually through a 'geom xxx create ..', or
> > this info should be managed directly by the individual implementation ?
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but when a new geom is
> created (for example by a complex / transformation GEOM class...), it is
> automatically tested again, so why would it be different now?

i am looking at the module unloading (i.e.. destroy) case.
I have a geom_sched module that uses the 'taste' method to automatically
create instances to selected devices (listed in a kenv variable for
what matters). The user can still manually issue "geom sched create ..."
on other providers.

When I unload the module, right now i call destroy() on all instances
(including those created manually), but i wonder if the autodestruction
should be limited to only the auto-created entities, as the manpage
seems to suggest, and in this case whether there is any flag that
records manual vs. automatic creation.

	cheers
	luigi