Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:16:18 -0700
From:      Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Known-good CPU/motherboard/soundcard combinations for video recording

Hello,

I'm thinking about replacing the machine I currently use for A/V recording.
Its current relevant specs:

  1200 MHz AMD Duron
  Soyo K7V Dragon +
    built-in CMI 8738
  512 MB PC133 RAM
  Brooktree bt878 card

The CPU is definitely fast enough for my needs, but there are two other
problems:

1) I can't capture above 320x240, if I try the machine locks up solid.  I've
   seen others on freebsd-multimedia attribute this to the VIA KT266A
   chipset.

2) the on-board CMI 8738 audio chip seems to initialize at the wrong rate
   some of the time, which leads to gradual audio sync drift.

I'm using the ffmpeg port which was distributed by Alex Teslik here on
-multimedia.  I've also used fxtv, which had the same problems.

So does anyone have suggestions as to what motherboard/soundcard combos
work Every Time?  Any success stories of 640x480 capture?

Thanks!

-nick

--
Nicholas Esborn