Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:51:27 -0500
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com>
To:        Rob Miracle <rwm@MPGN.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Keeping up with this thing

Rob Miracle writes:
 > I read the FAQ and the handbook and I still have some confusion about
 > how to keep my system semi recent without catching things in a state
 > of flux.  For example I grabbed the source tree off of ftp.freebsd.org
 > this morning.  I tried a make world and it blew up compiling the cc
 > compiler when the prototypes in the contrib/gcc directory differed from
 > the actual source in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/blah blah blah.
 >
 > I understand fully that copying from that source may lead to headaches
 > and that "sup" and the cvs trees are better.  The thing is I don't have
 > a lot of time to play with figuring out how to use sup and cvs.
 >
 > So I guess I am requesting a supfile and set of commands where I can
 > fetch the recently changed files in a compilable version of the system.
 > While I realize that Freebsd-stable is probably more for what kind of
 > updates we need, we are unfortunatly wanting to try out the SMP kernel
 > and have some other needs addressed by 2.2.
 >
 > So maybe if someone could explain this in a bit clearer sense and provide
 > some real world examples of using sup and cvs to keep my system upto date
 > with the most recent compilable version I would greatly appreciate it.
 >
 > Thanks
 > Rob

FWIW, here's what I've been doing that's (so far) worked out very well.
First, I'm using ctm -- I subscribe to the ctm-current mailling list, so I
get patches via email several times per day.  I usually apply the patches
more-or-less immediately, watching the output from ctm.  If, for example,
the kernel or loader are extensively modified (functionally, that is --
watch the -commits mailling list for details), I'll wait another day or two
to give some other sucke^H^H^H^H^H brave soul a chance to rebuild it
first.

If you've not used it before, ctm is wonderful.  To start, ftp to
freefall.freebsd.org and find the ctm directory (it may be under
/pub/FreeBSD, I'm not sure and can't check right now -- Sprint's having
trouble again).  Grab the highest-numbered file ending with `A.gz' (about
30 MB) along with all higher-numbered files.  In your (empty) src
directory, do a `ctm -v files_you_just_grabbed'.  That'll build the source
tree (that's the 30MB file), and apply all updates since then.  Now
subscribe to ctm-current and -commits, and enjoy.

Just remember two things: 1) you're still not _guarranteed_ a buildable
system (tho it almost always is), since -current is a work-in-progress; and
2) if something stops working, let other people know.

Hope this helps.
--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (317)477-6000 \