Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:39:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: "Windows 98"

> What I tried to do was just to get Fxtv to read a program guide, which
> containted the following:
>
> * Program channel, name and times (e.g, TV 2 has Cheers from time N to
>   time N, specified as seconds from 1970)
> * Program type - SPORT, SERIAL, etc.

and such info are available on teletext pages that you can capture
using your card :)

> * User state information, like "I'm not interested in knowing that XXX
>   exists" as a flag for each program, set seperately from Fxtv.
>
> My intention was to make it possible to avoid ever getting sports and
> bad serials into my fxtv :-) However, I was stopped at the early point
> of getting even a channel name displayed by not knowing Xaw - I had
> code that was (as far as I could tell) equal to the other string
> display code in fxtv, but it Just Didn't Work.

about fxtv, it is a great program, but i wish the user interface was
as much as possible separated from the kernel (meant as the procedures
to make the card capture in a window once its ID is known, inkoke the
mpeg encoder/decoder, etc.). The program would be much easier to modify
by people who is not x-literate.

Plus (and i already commented this to Randall):

	prova# cd /usr/ports/x11/fxtv/work/fxtv-0.45/
	prova# wc *.[ch]
	   18557   68208  638756 total

and frankly this is quite a bit of code for a single application.
I think using some different toolkit for the GUI would make it much
smaller.

	cheers
	luigi