Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 17:23:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.8 gone for good?

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Peter Jeremy wrote:

>On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 02:35:16AM +1000, Matt Heckaman wrote:
>>Don't bet on that, here's an interesting story of mine:
>>
>>I sent two letters on the same day, from the same post office here in
>>Montreal, Canada. I sent one letter express, one letter normal mail.
>[The further you post a letter, the quicker it arrives]

It's the slightly infamous Inverse Proportion colloary of Murhpy's Law.
In this case, the amount of time it takes a letter to reach its
destination is inversely proportion to the distance to the destination.
Perhaps more accurately Murphurian though would be the amount of time a
letter takes to reach its destination is inversely proportional to the
importance of the letter and the cost spent on mailing it.  Another
great example is the classic Murphurian maxim the hardness of the butter
is inversely proportional to the softness of the roll.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
bandix@looksharp.net                         Illegitimi non carborundum.