Date:      29 Aug 2002 18:09:36 +0200
From:      Lars Bungum <lars.bungum@copyleft.no>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   mod_perl, mason and perl

Greetings!

I'm having slight problems installing mod_perl, and p5-HTML-Mason to be
used with it.  The problem I have is that when I try to use Mason, I get
an error message about a function called rel2abs().  This appears to be
because my perl version is too old (5.005).  Then, I chose to install a
newer perl from ports, which went smoothly.

So - my problem.  When I try to install the mod_perl-port, it still uses
the old perl installed on the system in /usr/bin/perl, instead of the
new 5.6.1 that I just installed to /usr/local/bin.  This seems to be
because of this entry in bsd.port.mk

.if ${OSVERSION} >= 500032
PERL_VERSION?=  5.6.1
PERL_VER?=              5.6.1
PERL_ARCH?=             mach
.else
.if ${OSVERSION} >= 500007
PERL_VERSION?=  5.6.0
PERL_VER?=              5.6.0
PERL_ARCH?=             mach
.else
.if ${OSVERSION} >= 300000
PERL_VERSION?=  5.00503
.else
PERL_VERSION?=  5.00502
.endif
PERL_VER?=              5.005
PERL_ARCH?=             ${ARCH}-freebsd
.endif
.endif
PLIST_SUB+=             PERL_VERSION=${PERL_VERSION} \
                                PERL_VER=${PERL_VER} \
                                PERL_ARCH=${PERL_ARCH}

.if exists(/usr/bin/perl5) && ${OSVERSION} >= 300000 && ${OSVERSION} <
500036
.if !exists(/usr/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}) && defined(USE_PERL5)
pre-everything::
        @${ECHO_CMD} "Error: you don't have the right version of perl in
/usr/bin."
        @${FALSE}
.endif
PERL5=                  /usr/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}
PERL=                   /usr/bin/perl
.else
PERL5=                  ${LOCALBASE}/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}
PERL=                   ${LOCALBASE}/bin/perl

.. so I am wondering what to do here.  Would it be safe to change the
bsd.port.mk, and force it to use my other perl, although my OS version
is only 450000?  Or should I look for other workarounds, like finding
the abs2rel-source and include it somewhere?

Regards,
--
Mvh.
Lars Bungum                                               <lb@cl.no>