Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 01:57:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        taob@io.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW vs. IP Filter?

In some mail from Guido van Rooij, sie said:

> Brian Tao wrote:
> >     I'm setting up a FreeBSD-based firewall here, and my original plan
> > was to go with IPFW in the kernel.  However, it seems there isn't any
> > recent documentation for it (both the man page and the handbook entry
> > are out of date).  IP Filter 3.0.4 (http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/)
> > also looks very nice, and Andrew Stesin recently recommended it here.
> >
> >     Should I disable IPFW in the kernel and put IP Filter in its place
> > then, or can (should?) the two coexist?  My main beef is that the IPFW
> > documentation is rather lacking, and /usr/src/sbin/ipfw/ipfw.c isn't
> > helpfully commented.  Suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> I have a router with both ipfilter and ipfw. However, it is an early
> version of ipfilter. I think it can cooperate well, though I havent looked
> at the sources recently. You can ask Daren Reed, the auithor of

There's 2 r's in Darren :-)

> ipfilter (avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au). I think he's also using FreeBSD
> these days.

He is indeed (but currently bitching about how Linux kernels - 2.0 - still
builds in a brain dead fashion, so you can rest easy there, folks).

It is quite possible that both could be put on and work (ipfilter & ipfw).

It might make it a bit difficult on the human side to work out which is doing
what, however, so I'd be tempted to use one or the other.

Cheers,
Darren