Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:51:26 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Piet Delaney <piet@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for Suggestion on Booting FreeBSD 3.0 on a Gigabyte GA-6BXDS  board with Dual Pentiun II and Adaptec 7895 Ultra Wide SCSI-3 Controlers

Piet Delaney wrote:

> Hi David, Cory, Dave, Folks:

Good grief that was a long distrubtion list!

>         I thought it was about time to try out
> FreeBSD, most likely 3.0, so I picked up a PC
> board from Gigabyte, the GA-6BXDS Dual Scsi-3
> that has an onboard Adaptec 7895 controler.
> About a year ago you (David) said Justin was working
> on a 7895 scsi controler. I didn't see anything
> in the FreeBSD handbook on support for the Adaptic
> 7895 (seems to be getting rather out of date).

>From the 3.0 release notes http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.0R/notes.html:

% o Support for Adaptec 7890, 7891, 7895, 7896 and 7897 based controllers
%  (new 2940/2950/3940/3950 et al).

> Now I've read from Cory that you need a CAM scsi
> driver. Last I see it was still only available as
> patches. Why is it taking so long to get it integrated

The CAM driver is in 3.0-RELEASE as well as 3.0-CURRENT.

> into the current src? So I have to get an IDE drive and
> install onto that, get the CAM patches (from where?),
> run patch, etc... and linux supports it a standard
> controler? I can't believe this.

Then don't.

> Perhaps you could update me on the 7895 support

Update yourself, read the release notes.

> and perhaps have some suggestion on setting up this
> board to run FreeBSD. For example can I boot the
> 3.0 FreeBSD off of a CDROM on the scsi adapters;
> I sort of doubt it.

I don't know if you can, but I can.  I can even boot it from
ATAPI cdrom.  (This worked on my old Gateway P6 with a 7880
SCSI controller, so it's not exactly new.)

> Is the FreeBSD getting the information it needs from
> Gigabyte and Adaptec so that these boards are well
> supported?

The Linux Adaptec drivers are based on the FreeBSD ones.

Are you a plant working for ESR or something?