Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 11:21:26 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        dwcjr@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: samba-2.2.3a - configuration options interactive  script

"David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 11:15:08PM +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > some weeks ago we talked 'bout creating a dialog-configuration script for
> > the samba port. Now I'm ready to go to install some new samba server machines,
> > so I can write those scripts.
> > But (because I'm new in making sth. for the world :-)) I need some assistance
> > when making decisions. So may I ask you some questions, and you (or everyone
> > who feels appointed) answers them, if possible.
> >
> > 1) Should the configuration modify the port name, like cvsup / cvsup-without-gui?
> >    I think it's possible to create a new port directory automatically for each possible
> >    configuration, so a potential "portupgrade" is able to use the complete config-set
> >    without waiting for the user...
>
> I like the way postfix works in this aspect, but that's probably due
> to the fact that I maintained it for a while(even though I didn't
> write the menu system).

Postfix works in the same way mod_php4 works - and I didn't like it, because a
"make clean" removes the "Makefile.inc" which stores the configuration the
administrator made.
I'm searching for a way to keep the configuration file over a "make clean" - maybe
till new options in the dialog system appear. I like the functionality of "portupgrade",
but updating many ports which have a menu system is confusing ...
Sometimes it's difficult to remember, which server/workstation was compiled using
which options ...

> > 2) If !1:
> >    Should the script provide an option like "Do not delete configuration wished on 'make clean'"?
> >    Same reason like 1: I don't like sit at the side of servers I upgrade ...
> >    I hate the PHP4-port for this!
>
> I'm not sure I follow this but I'll see what the php4 port does.

Postfix do the same way...

> > 3) Should the script check (checkable) misconfigurations, or is the admin every time
> >    smart enough?
>
> what kind of misconfigurations would it detect?  What I've been told
> in the past is to let the admin shoot themselves in the foot if they
> wish but this attitude may have changed.

I did not know. It was a question like: "If I find some ways to let the admin shoot it's foot,
should I sell some bullet-proofed socks?" But I understand - learning by doing - learning more
doing wrong :-)

Greetings
Jens

--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W