Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:05:27 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        "Anthony C. Chavez" <acc@anthonychavez.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some corrections about freebsdnews.org

On Monday 27 January 2003 20:57, Anthony C. Chavez wrote:
> This has turned into a somewhat unfortunate mess.  I wish I would have
> had time to respond to this over the weekend.

Well, nobody could really e-mail very well this weekend, we're still deal=
ing=20
with the aftermath of that slapper-worm rubbish here, mail queues filled =
to=20
capacity :)

> Your description of freebsdnews sounds ~exactly~ like Daemon News,
> except that it sounds like you're going to focus on FreeBSD rather than
> the BSDs as a whole.

Well, there's no reason why we can't colaborate, ie, some portions of=20
freebsdnews.org just redirects people to the appropriate part of DN, and =
the=20
rest does things like the freebsd-specific factoid things, etc.

I've bought it anyway, and the 12 Euros really isn't gonna hurt that badl=
y, so=20
we can think of something to do with it :-)

> Daemon News (well, actually, it's just me and maybe a couple of others)
> has been interested in re-vamping the advocacy portal for a few months
> now.  http://advocacy.daemonnews.org/ has been around for quite some
> time now, but it's suffered from severe neglect, like most others.
>
> Josef El-Rayes and Peter Kieser have both expressed a fairly high degre=
> of enthusiasm for hosting the advocacy site on advocacy.daemonnews.org.
> I have yet to hear back from you or Stacy Olivas yet.
>
> I don't mean to deter you from starting freebsdnews, but IMO, DN is a
> much more appropriate place to host an advocacy site.
>
> By all means, if you want to continue with your site, please do!
> However, we can save you the cost of a domain for one thing, and for
> another, DN's ~purpose~ is to represent the BSDs as a whole, rather tha=
> just one flavor.
>
> Please let me know what you decide to do.  Thanks!

--=20
Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant

214 Paul Kruger Avenue, Universitas